Lots of news these days on baby boomers delaying retirement. Below are our top 10 (actually 11, we added a bonus story) recent stories on the topic.
This is not new news, but the amount of coverage these themes are getting seems to be accelerating.
1. In a Hard Economy For All Ages, Older Isn't Better ... It's Brutal from the New York Times: Covers research showing that baby boomers were the hardest hit generation by the Great Recession. In addition to destroying nest eggs and forcing delayed retirement, the article says many baby boomers are even going to die younger because of recession induced economic trauma.
2. 7 Ways Baby Boomers are Redefining Retirement from Reuters: A bit more uplifting than the grim NY Times piece, the article claims "Boomers aren't heading quietly into retirement. They're launching businesses, embracing digital technology and living abroad in greater numbers than ever before."
3. 8 Work at Home Jobs for Retirees from MarketWatch: Covers 8 part-time work at home options. Also points out there are a lot of scam work at home schemes and how to avoid them.
4. Retirement Planning Study Finds Boomers Have Unrealistic Views of Futures from Huffington Post: Covers an Ameriprise study showing that most boomers retirement expectations are not matched by the retirement savings.
5. Retired Baby Boomers Climb Back Into Driver's Seat from the Sydney Morning Herald: Even down under boomers are delaying retirement. This article covers a boomer who is working to stay active and engaged.
6. Advisors Struggle to Serve Aging Boomers from AdvisorOne: the financial services industry is working hard to figure out how to help boomers plan and save for retirement. This article covers a report saying many advisors are "challenged with how to effectively attract and engage with investors nearing or in retirement." They're also having a hard time figuring out how to generate income in a low interest rate environment.
7. Retirement Living: Debt Holds Many Boomers Back from USA Today: Covers an Ameritrade study that found that the average baby boomer is "about a half-million dollars short on retirement savings." It also reports that debt is growing problem for aging boomers and seniors.
8. Baby Boomer? Take it Easy Rider from the Austrailian: Great article from Australia on a U.S. study showing that older motorcycle riders involved in a crash are up to three times likelier than younger bikers to suffer severe injuries. The study also reports biker accidents involving bikers 65+ have surged over the last decade.
10. In Travel, We're All Boomers from the New York Times: reports on how boomers drive the travel industry.
11. Boomers Aren't Sold on Retirement Communities from Business Insider: a bonus article, it covers how boomers are shunning traditional retirement communities.