PSFK considers this part of a broader trend they call Home Farming.
1) A uniquely deep and fulfilling experience that comes with growing your own food
2) Smarts- I have never met anyone who did not have some kind of “lightbulb go off”while they were food gardening
3) Better tasting ingredients for your cooking
4) A deeper understanding of health and nutrition
5) Natural beauty unfolding before your eyes, every day, year-round
6) Less trips to the store for the food that would go bad quickly in the fridge
7) Fresher air
We've been home farmers for years. Our best crop is lemons. We don't know why, but our 2 lemon trees produce hundreds of lemons and have multiple crops per year. We also have great luck with our kiwis and our limes do quite well.
The urban and home farming trends are exciting. It's not yet clear they will make the mainstream, but advances in aquaponics/hydroponics and companies like WindowFarms are making it much more likely urban and home farming will take off.
For more examples of home-based farm systems, see Tree Hugger's 12 Plug and play home hydroponics systems.